The hot, humid summers in Cedar Rapids, IA can leave many homeowners battling excess moisture in their homes. High humidity levels can lead to mold and mildew growth, damage to wood floors or furniture, and uncomfortable living spaces. One solution to control humidity is the use of a whole-house dehumidifier as part of your home’s HVAC system.
A whole-house dehumidifier is an efficient and effective solution for maintaining optimal humidity levels throughout your home. Whole-house dehumidifiers are installed as part of your home’s ductwork and work continuously to remove moisture from the air. They help maintain a consistent humidity level, ideally between 30-50%, throughout the house. Novak Heating & Cooling shares the benefits a whole house dehumidifier can air to your home so you can decide if one is worth it for you.
How Do Whole House Dehumidifiers Work?
Whole-house humidifiers draw in air through the return ducts. As the air passes through the dehumidifier unit, a refrigerated coil condenses moisture in the air, reducing the humidity level. The dry, conditioned air is then circulated back into the living spaces via the supply ducts, and the excess moisture drains from the unit.
Whole house dehumidifiers collect the moisture from the air into a tank. This tank should be emptied on a regular basis. It’s a smart idea to make sure that your whole house dehumidifier is maintained during your annual air conditioner tune-up appointment.
Do You Need a Whole House Dehumidifier?
Some signs you may want to consider a whole-house dehumidifier for your Cedar Rapids home include:
- Condensation on windows, walls, or other surfaces
- Musty smells or visible mold/mildew, especially in basements or crawl spaces
- Wood flooring or furniture is warping, buckling, or showing signs of water damage
- Drywall or wallpaper is peeling or shows signs of water damage
- You or family members are experiencing allergy or asthma symptoms in the home
Benefits of Whole House Dehumidifier Installation
By maintaining balanced humidity levels, a whole-house dehumidifier helps prevent issues and offers many benefits, including:
- Better Indoor Air Quality: A whole-house dehumidifier helps maintain optimal humidity levels, reducing allergens and airborne irritants like mold spores, dust mites, and mildew.
- Enhanced Comfort: By extracting excess moisture, a dehumidifier makes your home feel more comfortable, preventing dampness and stuffiness.
- Energy Efficiency: With lower humidity levels, air conditioners don’t have to work as hard, resulting in energy savings and reduced utility bills.
- Protection for Your Home: Balanced humidity levels help prevent damage to wood furniture, flooring, and structural components caused by excess moisture.
- Prevention of Mold and Mildew: A dehumidifier reduces the risk of mold growth throughout your home in places you can’t see. Mold and mildew can be damaging to the health of your family and the structural integrity of your home.
- Reduced Odors: By maintaining proper humidity levels, a whole-house dehumidifier helps eliminate musty odors associated with dampness and high humidity.
- Less Condensation: Dehumidifiers reduce window condensation, preventing moisture buildup that can lead to rot and damage.
- Extended Lifespan of Electronics: Excess humidity can harm electronics and appliances; a whole-house dehumidifier protects your valuable devices.
- Easier Breathing: Balanced humidity levels make it easier for those with respiratory issues or allergies to breathe comfortably in their homes.
- Low Maintenance: Whole-house dehumidifiers require minimal maintenance compared to portable units, making them a convenient and hassle-free solution for humidity control.
Talk to the Whole House Dehumidifier Pros at Novak Today to Improve the Comfort Of Your Home This Summer
For the comfort and health of your family and the protection of your home’s structure, a whole-house dehumidifier can be worth the investment. If you’re experiencing issues with excess humidity, contact Novak Heating and Cooling to discuss whether a whole-house dehumidifier could help solve your problems and improve your home’s comfort.